We just uploaded our new solar system unit on TpT- here is a sneak peek at some of the lessons and ideas! Most of the lessons are large, so we are selling them separately. However, we are also selling all of the lessons as one HUGE file, too! (More about that at the bottom of the post!)
We have a some super cute ways to build some anticipation and excitement about your new science unit on the solar system! Prior to starting your unit, place an astronaut trainee letter (an official letter from NASA!) in a special star stamped manila envelope. You won’t believe how excited your students will be when they come to school and find them on their desk! From here on out, students are astronaut trainees and I (formerly known as the teacher) am now their crew captain-very official, with name badge and all!
Junior astronauts use their schema (brain file!) to share what they know about constellations and then create their own constellation. Check out the pics below:
All junior astronauts must learn to work with other junior astronauts- very important here on Earth and in outer space! Students work in groups to write acrostic poems and present their them to the class.
Crew captains will definitely have the attention of their junior astronauts when they begin the next lesson with these yummy looking Milky Way bars on display!
Astronauts in training must know about how the Moon orbits the Earth and how the Earth orbits the Sun!
Solar System Spectacular: Calling All Junior Astronauts!!
Files included in this unit, which total over 200 pages:
2. Awesome orbits- 20 pages- Astronauts learn how the Moon orbits the earth and the earth orbits the sun, in a fun, interactive lesson!
3. Blast off your Space Unit- 15 pages- Cute and unique ideas to get your junior astronauts excited and motivated to learn about the solar system and keep them engaged throughout the unit!
4. Crazy about constellations- 43 pages- Astronauts use their schema to share their “brain file” about constellations and then expand their brain file as they continue to learn about 13 featured constellations. Posters, constellations flip book, and a writing/art project are included.
5. Exciting Eclipses- 12 pages- A fun and interactive way to learn about the difference between the solar and lunar eclipse!
6. Galaxy Galore- 6 pages- A fun writing lesson and art project!
7. Solar System Assessment- 4 pages- let your astronauts show you what they know and earn their way into the space academy with flying colors!
8. Solar System comparison- 2 pages- A great graphic organizer
9. Solar System flip book- 53 pages- Astronauts create a really cool accordion book full of facts about the planets!
10. The Lunar Cycle – 24 pages- Astronauts illustrate what they learned about the phases of the moon!