National Board for ProfessionalTeaching Standards just released the scores for the 2010-2011 candidates! Candidates undergo a RIGOROUS one year assessment program. Candidates complete 4 portfolio entries and six prompts that assess content knowledge.
NBPTS Standards are based on the Five Core Propositions that form the foundation for what all accomplished teachers should know and be able to do and provide a reference that helps educators link teaching standards to teaching practice.
Five Core Propositions
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
I know first hand just how rigorous the program was because I became a National Board Certified teacher in Generalist/Middle Childhood in 2007..and passed on the first time! :)
My mom and I at my district’s board meeting where they congratulated all NBCT’s!